Monday, September 20, 2010

music theory by daniel hunter

c.o. Alex Wolf.

"Bands don't 'lose' the ability to make 'good' music. They simply choose to make something different than what you like. Hence the reason people always argue about which album from a band is better, newer, older, etc. Any artist in the world can sit down and use the same formulas to write the exact same types of songs again. Billy Corgan, even, could probably sit down and write an entire album that sounds shockingly like Gish, but why would he want to? Gish came out in a certain time period. It was a great album because of the context in which it was released. He's doing something different now. Most people don't like it, but that doesn't mean he should resort to copying his old material idea for idea.

As for me, I don't want any help. I don't make music hoping people on forums will think it's 'good' enough for them. I make it for fun. And to me, making some things that are boring, or overly long, or completely out of place, or too dissonant, or unexpected, is fun. That's why songs I've been writing recently have seen comparisons as far and wide as Maroon 5 (this thread), Nine Inch Nails, Jack Johnson, Interpol, etc. Those are all completely different bands, so clearly I'm either having an identity crisis or I simply make music for the enjoyment and not for the praise that would come along with focusing my efforts on one sound, or what a particular group of people would call "good". Making diverse music is divisive by its very nature.

I'm not sure what you do for fun. Maybe you play video games or read books. Whatever it is, I'm sure most people that play video games don't play the same game type over and over. They change it up for fun (personally, I like everything from FPS to RPGs to sports and racing games). It's the same when I make music. I would be bored if I made the same kind of music all the time. My next album will probably be my most bipolar to date since I've thrown caution entirely to the wind when it comes to song choice."

Listen to Analog Rebellion...it's good for you.



No comments:

Post a Comment