Friday, December 3, 2010

Novice thinking.

"If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy, I could've won."
Mumford & Sons "I Gave You All"

Well, in lieu of this lyric's very prominent relevance in my life, I have begun writing...finally. Not a ton, but enough. It's still 
hard for me to set my own goals when it comes to finishing an entire story (or even blog or book), but I've certainly been 
jotting things down more often, and I suppose, too, that it's more of an ongoing battle; must keep telling myself that as long as
I do a little bit here and there, just keep the juices flowing, then I won't completely lose creative drive. More importantly, the 
day to day processes of work and play will start pouring forth good material for coverage. However, I still only write for 
myself, and it dawned on me that writing on a team for a bigger audience (something I would love to do) could prove to be a challenging switch.

I read an interview between two young filmmaker friends - NYU grads Jody Lee Lipes and Lance Edmands - that touched on 
the creative process from a novice point of view. Most interesting to me was Lipes' discussion on how he maintained a certain 
amount of creative stamina when he had no money and was forced to commercialize his work against his will. For both Lipes 
and Edmands the biggest obstacle was and still is figuring out how to fulfill personal creative goals while still drawing audiences.

The Interview

LE: "When you're making a film it's a constant battle about what you want and what does the audience want."

JLL: "I definitely think that movies that push the boundaries of entertainment and storytelling can be great, but to me the 
ultimate goal is to make films that are unique, but that still have a mass appeal. The best creative minds can create a movie that 
everyone loves but still has its own voice. Even someone like Kubrick was always upset that more people didn't go to see his
movies...I think it's more about your personality. I have a sort of lofty theory that when you make movies you have to make 
strong decisions. I think most of the movies I like turn out better that way, rather than trying a thousand different things 
without a commitment to telling a story a certain way."


Make strong decisions and commit. 
Commit. Commit. Commit.

At least I'm getting a little better in this endeavor...

No comments:

Post a Comment