Sunday, August 15, 2010

illustrations I



So lately I've become obsessed with antique illustration, especially Grimm's fairy tales and Disney concept art.  I've always loved ethereal imagery and recognized the first few images of Little Red Riding Hood and Rapunzel from a 1909 edition of The Brothers Grimm illustrated by Arthur Rackham that my sister Alyssa used to read to me before bed when I was only about seven years old.  He also illustrated our edition of Alice in Wonderland/Through the Looking Glass, which I've been meaning to read again for quite some time now.


What's interesting is that the world of fairy tales is so haunting and graphic to me still.  I have no idea how I managed to fall asleep after seeing the gruesome, "Grandmother" Wolf eerily eyeballing his dainty, red-hooded prey, or the tower-mistress [a terrifyingly haggard witch] peering around the corner at Rapunzel's father right before she accuses him of theft and forces him to give up his one and only child... 

Little Red Riding Hood


Rapunzel

Alice in Wonderland

Through the Looking Glass

No comments:

Post a Comment